Serves as a Child Care Provider in an hourly care center. Assists in planning, implementing and leading activities for a group and individual program participants. Helps prepare, arrange and maintain indoor and outdoor activity areas and materials to accommodate daily schedules. Independently performs the full range of the below listed duties and responsibilities under the written and verbal direction of the supervisor who provides guidance on the scope of assignments.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities includes but not limited to the following:
- Implements curriculum within the established guidelines. Interacts with children using approved child guidance and youth development techniques. Provides care/supervision, oversight, and accountability for children in compliance with local policies, guidance and standards.
- Designs and implements daily lesson/activity plans. Assists in implementing and leading planned activities for program participants. Incorporates special instructions provided by parents pertaining to physical needs or other information that may affect the child’s experience in the program. Cares for special needs children as directed by the supervisor. Provides input to, and implements schedules and activity plans. Sets up displays and bulletin boards. Helps create games and play materials (mixing paint and play dough and assembling props for dramatic play, activities, etc.). Models appropriate behavior for lower level employees.
- Supervises the children, classroom, and all activities. Supervises children during daily schedule of indoor and outdoor activities and special events. Promotes and models safe practices. Notifies supervisor of health, fire, and safety compliance concerns. Helps arrange for/serve appropriate snacks/meals where applicable. Ensures children (as applicable) depart with authorized person according to written parent instructions. Observes program participants for signs that may indicate illness, abuse, or neglect and reports as directed. Participates in program evaluation as required.
- Makes ongoing, systematic observations and evaluations of each child. Participates in program evaluation as required. Assists in achieving and maintaining DOD certification and national accreditation or equivalent. Provides care/supervision, oversight, and accountability for children in compliance with local policies, guidance and standards.
Other Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Possess skills to interpret and implement developmentally appropriate curriculum and practices under immediate supervision to provide direct care, education and development for children.
- Participates in parent conferences, and maintains positive relationships and effective communication
with parents. Interacts professionally with staff members and parents.
- Ability to work well with others.
- Maintains program site and equipment. Inventories equipment on a recurring basis and recommends replenishing damaged, missing, and depleted supplies. Secures supplies, equipment, and facilities.
- Maintains required program records. Collects, maintains and reports program participation data.
- Attends and participates in family nights, program activities, staff meetings, and staff training.
- Represents the Armed Services YMCA with a professional and positive demeanor.
- Adhere to ASYMCA’s organizational policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- One year prior experience working with children, youth or teens in a day care setting is required. Six months of this experience must have been at the Level 2 or private sector equivalent.
- Ability to satisfactory complete all required training and demonstrate competencies according to established timeframes to retain employment status.
- Completes all training requirements including orientation, Heart Saver Pediatric First Aid and CPR training, Redwoods annual trainings and the approved Marine Corps Standardized Module Training as prescribed, and tracks and records completed training on own Individual Development Plan (IDP).
- Must meet current health and sanitation requirements.
- Completion of ASYMCA program specific certifications.
- This position is subject to random drug testing.
- Able to successfully pass a criminal, driving, and employment reference background check.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to:
- Sit, stand, walk, bend, kneel and uses hands, arms and legs for dexterity, balance and climbing stairs frequently. Must be able to sit for prolonged periods of time.
- Occasionally lifts, carries and balances objects weighing up to 30 pounds.
- Pulls and pushes objects such as file drawers and supplies.
- Prioritizes and multi-tasks work and projects requiring good memory, concentration and analytical thinking.
- Sufficient strength, agility and mobility to perform essential functions of position and to safely supervise children’s activities.
- Be physically and mentally capable of providing care for children, pass health screenings annually to show good physical and mental health and freedom from communicable disease to include up to date immunizations, test for Tuberculosis and any other tests deemed necessary and appropriate per MCO 1710.30E.
Armed Services YMCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. ASYMCA is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. ASYMCA encourages applicants of all ages.