Child and Youth Program Assistant-Non-Supervisory
Summary: ***$ 500 Sign-On Bonus Available***
The Child and Youth Program Assistant position is responsible for providing appropriate, developmental supervised childcare and instruction for children and youth ranging from 4 years to 12 years of age.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
· Provides care and supervision, oversight, and accountability for children and youth participants in accordance with Armed Services YMCA and applicable federal and state laws, including:
- Maintains control of and accounts for whereabouts and safety of participants at all times while in care.
- Ensures participants depart with authorized persons.
- Supervises participants during daily schedule of indoor and outdoor activities and on field trips, outings, and special events.
- Interacts with participants using approved child guidance and youth development techniques.
- Promotes and models safety, fitness, health, and nutrition practices.
· Implements and leads planned activities and special events that meet the physical, social, emotional, and cognitive needs of participants:
- Incorporates special instructions provided by parents such as special dietary needs, physical needs, or other information may affect the child or youth’s experience in the program.
- Demonstrates, instructs, leads and facilities planned and spontaneous program activities.
- Prepares and implements program options for participants with special needs.
- Observes participants and documents developmental progression and/or concerns.
· Prepares, arranges, and maintains indoor and outdoor activity areas and materials to accommodate daily schedules. Ensures supplies, equipment, and facilities are secured when not in use.
· Helps arrange for and/or serve appropriate snacks or meals for participants.
· Observes program participants for signs that may indicate illness, abuse, or neglect and reports as directed.
· Provides parents with regular verbal or written feedback about their children and youth and program activities.
· Interacts professionally with other Armed Services YMCA employees and volunteers, parents, children and youth, and other organizations.
· Notifies supervisor of health, fire, and safety compliance concerns.
· Collects, maintains, and reports program participation data.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications/Conditions of Employment:
· All candidates must have a high school diploma or equivalent and must be able to read, write, and speak English.
· Candidates must meet county, state, or federal for employment.
· Candidates must be able to continually and successfully pass background and reference checks with no derogatory findings that would prohibit them from working with children and youth in accordance with applicable county, state, or federal law.
· Candidates may be required to complete pre/post-employment physicals.
Entry Level Minimum Qualifications:
· Demonstrated ability to work with children and youth and other professionals in a group setting.
Intermediate Level Minimum Qualifications:
· 1 year experience working with children and youth in a childcare setting or other related experience.
· Current CPR/First Aid certification.
· 24 hours training or equivalent certifications (including equivalent Department of Defense Child and Youth training module completion) or equivalent post-secondary education.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
The following physical demands must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job:
The work requires considerable walking, standing, bending, stooping and lifting up to 50 pounds. Activities may require incumbent to drive an ASYMCA vehicle to transport children. However, most of the work is done in a classroom setting or activity areas (both indoor and outdoor) and no special physical demands are made upon the incumbent.
The work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of a wide variety of child and youth activities, programs, and services. Activities, programs, and services are conducted in a building or outside and are suitable for children and youth. The work area is adequately lighted, heated, and ventilated.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Employee discount
- Salary $10.00 -$13.00 per hour (DOE)
Supplemental pay types:
- Sign On Bonus
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- First Aid Certification (Preferred)
- CPR Certification (Preferred)
Armed Services YMCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. ASYMCA is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. ASYMCA encourages applicants of all ages.