School-Age Care Counselor
Five Star Kids Academy
POSITION: SCHOOL-AGE CARE COUNSELOR
STATUS: Hiring for the 2023-2024 School Year (Aug. - June)
Hiring for Summer Camp 2023 (June-August)
HOURS: Monday-Friday (6:15 AM- 8:30 AM and 2:45 PM-6:00 PM)
LOCATION: Armed Services YMCA Regional Office
1465 Lakeside Road, Virginia Beach 23455
Summer Camp is held at the Regional Office, Mon.-Fri., mid-June-August
The SCHOOL-AGE CARE COUNSELOR will work closely with peers, under the direct supervision of the School- Age Care Program Director to implement high-quality child care and summer camp programs that meet the social-emotional needs of students, ages 4-12 years. Counselors provide a FUN, happy and safe learning environment that promotes academic growth and personal character development through interactive, engaging activities. This position requires an enthusiastic, caring, child-centered professional with excellent communication and people skills that foster positive interactions with students, staff, families and the community.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE Required:
- High School Diploma or GED or verification of completion of a home school program approved by the state and six months of supervised programmatic experience in group care of children; or
- Some college credits and six months of supervised programmatic experience in the group care of children; or
- An endorsement, associate’s or bachelor's degree in a child-related field such as, but not limited to, elementary education, nursing, or recreation from a college or university and one year of programmatic experience (preferred).
- Must be 21 years of age;
- Complete background checks;
- Comply with Virginia Dept. of Education licensing requirements for child day centers;
- Have a valid driver’s license and good driving record;
- Knowledge of the military lifestyle and community social services agencies (a plus); and
- Must be able to lift 25 lbs., sit, bend, stand for long periods of time and walk up and down stairs, be inside and outside.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Complete staff and organization training to acquire knowledge and methodologies to implement high-quality, age-appropriate lessons that follow outlined curriculum to promote STREAM, literacy, health and safety, environmental awareness, character development, and incorporate the YMCA character values of caring, respect, responsibility and honesty;
- Maintain accurate attendance and correctly complete the CACFP document when serving snacks/meals;
- Supervise children at all times, making sure no child is left unattended (regularly completing name- face counts);
- Assist students with homework and provide enriching games/activities to assist children with everyday challenges;
- Assist in creating an attractive learning environment;
- Promote a positive, FUN attitude that fosters teamwork and collaboration that is child-centered;
- Adhere to all policies/procedures as set forth in the parent/guardian and employee handbooks;
- Maintain an organized, safe learning environment, securing all ASYMCA materials and supplies;
- Stay engaged and interacting with students while in your care;
- Encourage problem solving, conflict resolution and self-regulation;
- Clean and sanitize all toys, manipulatives, and classroom areas (required to complete all opening and closing procedures on the daily checklist);
- Model healthy habits and behaviors;
- Report suspected child abuse or neglect to the School-Age Care (SAC) Program Director immediately;
- Document all incidents and injuries fully, following all policies and procedures as per licensing regulations specified by the Virginia Department of Education;
- Communicate program concerns to the SAC Director or Manager in a timely manner;
- Check ASYMCA email daily and respond promptly to requests;
- Dress professionally, wearing ASYMCA staff shirts with name badge, keeping in mind that this position serves as the role model for students, recognizing staff represents the Armed Services YMCA of Hampton Roads at all times;
- Log work hours daily using the electronic timecard (ADP) for approval by supervisor (pay is directly deposited every two weeks);
- Serve as a substitute as needed;
- Serves as a bus driver when required; and
- Other duties, as assigned.
For more information, please contact Youth Enrichment Program Director Laura Roberts by email at Lroberts@asymca.org or call 757-363-1884, ext. 8774.
Armed Services YMCA of Hampton Roads
1465 Lakeside Rd.
Virginia Beach, VA 23455
[email protected] 757-363-1884
Armed Services YMCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. ASYMCA is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. ASYMCA encourages applicants of all ages.